Trekking Choquequirao - Vilcabamba - Machupicchu
Day 1: CUSCO – LIMATAMBO – CACHORA – CHIQUISCA
- We will leave at 8:00 a.m. To head on a private bus to Cachora, we will make small stops to visit Limatambo, Tarawasi (archaeological site dedicated to agriculture and housing), Cconoc, Curahuasi and Saywite (ceremonial stone).
- From this point we start our 30-minute bus trip to Cachora.
- We will walk in the direction of the Apurímac canyon, passing through the Capuliyoc pass and descending to Chiquisca, which is located 1 hour before Rosalina beach near the Apurímac river (1,500 m.s.n.m.), this is where we will camp and have dinner.
Day 2: CHIQUISCA – CHOQUEQUIRAO
- Pretty hard day because we will climb from (1,500 m.s.n.m.) to Choquequirao (3,000 m.s.n.m.).
- We pass through the towns of Santa Rosa, Marampata and arriving at our camp in Raqaypata, from where you can see the magnificent citadel of Choquequirao.
- We will camp on the platforms of the lower area, from where you can see the condors.
Day 3: CHOQUEQUIRAO – PINCHIUNUYOC – RÍO BLANCO
- Guided visit to the lower (Urin) and upper (Hanan) parts of Choquequirao.
- Then we can start the walk to the Choquequirao pass (3,300 m.s.n.m.).
- We descend towards Pinchiunuyoc where we will have lunch.
- In the afternoon we go down to the Blanco River (1,800 m.s.n.m). Camp place.
Day 4: RÍO BLANCO – VICTORIA MINE – YANAMA
- Also a fairly arduous day, due to the ascent to approximately 4,000 meters above sea level, where the Victoria mine is located, near the San Juan pass, a mine abandoned since colonial times, where part of the Apurímac canyon can already be seen, one of the geographical wonders.
- The road ascends towards the Victoria pass (4,500 m.s.n.m.), from where we can see the snow-capped Salkantay, Corihuayrachina, Humantay (the closest), passing through some plots and farmland.
- We will arrive at our camp near the school in the town of Yanama, a very picturesque valley (3,400 m.s.n.m.)
- This day we will walk 6 hours and camp in the town of Yanama.
Day 5: YANAMA – CHOQUETACARPO – QUELCAMACHAY
- Having camped in the town of Yanama, we ascend towards the Choquetacarpo pass, a steep path with vegetation in the first part and a sudden change to a puna climate.
- We descend towards Quelcamachay camp site.
Day 6: QUELCAMACHAY – KOLLPAQ – HUANCACALLE
- We will walk through the entire Quelcamachay valley, where we will be able to appreciate the Vilcabamba mountain range, always facing the imposing Choquetacarpo mountain, which can even be seen from the Vilcabamba road.
- The average altitude in this section is 3,500 – 3,800 meters above sea level.
- Arriving at Kollpaq in the afternoon, we will get to know the inter-Andean valleys.
- We descend towards Huancacalle, an important town in this area because it is also a refueling point to continue towards the Vilcabamba valley.
Day 7: HUANCACALLE – VITCOS – ÑUSTAHISPANA
- We will visit Vitcos, which is located in the upper part of Huancacalle, from where you can see the entire Chaullay valley and the Vilcabamba river.
- After an additional hour of walking we will arrive at Ñustahispana, we will also have a guided tour.
- We return to our base camp.
Day 8: ÑUSTAHISPANA – WANKAKALLI – QOLLPAQ’ASA
- We begin the walk towards the archaeological center of Rosaspata or Vitcos, from the domain of the hill you can see Pucyura, as well as the Pumasillo snow-capped mountain.
- Then we will visit Ñustahispana (Yurac Rumi), in both places you can enjoy the landscape. Then we head towards Qollpaq’asa, where we will camp.
Day 9: QOLLPAQ’ASA – UTUTO – VISTA ALEGRE
- We headed first towards the Maukachaka area, then we continued passing through Pampaconas, descending towards Ututo where we will camp.
- We will have the opportunity to fish for piranhas.
- The tour begins downhill, where after an hour we will see the jungle vegetation, whose climate is warm-temperate and we will be able to appreciate the Pampaconas River, where we will have lunch on its banks.
- After a rest, the walk continues until we reach the place called Vista Alegre, where we will camp.
Day 10: VISTA Alegre – CONCEVIDAYOC
- After breakfast we enter the Vilcabamba valley, quite warm.
- We arrive at Cruz Q’asa, a favorite place from where we can appreciate abundant flora and fauna, for example: the cock of the rocks.
- Arriving at Tunkimayu, to head towards Concevidayoc.
Day 11: CONCEVIDAYOC – PAMPA SPIRIT
- We head west, towards the Pampaconas river ravine, which will lead us to Espiritu Pampa, also considered a natural viewpoint.
- In the portion of the plain, the triangle is formed between the Pampaconas river, Chontabamba and the base of the mountain of the archaeological group of Espiritu Pampa, where we can appreciate platforms, the famous Rumí chaca site, a very beautiful Inca stone bridge. After a guided visit, we will camp.
Day 12: PAMPA SPIRIT – CHIWANKIRI
- It constitutes our last day of walking, accompanied by a tropical and humid climate, we recommend the valley of Espiritu Pampa until we reach Chiwankiri, the place of our last camp.
Day 13: CHIWANKIRI – KITENI
- Our journey for this day must be by land, by bus to the city of Kiteni.
Day 14: KITENI – CHAULLAY – LUCMABAMBA
- We will get up early to start our journey towards our destination, which is Chaullay and then Lucmabamba, where we will camp.
- During the tour we will observe a wide variety of flora and fauna typical of the area.
Day 15: LUCMABAMBA – HYDROELECTRIC PLANT – AGUAS CALIENTES
- We will get up very early to start our tour, continue our walk and continue appreciating a great variety of warm flora, fruit crops, coffee, coca and others.
- We will continue with the route reaching the Machupicchu hydroelectric.
- We will continue along the rails to Aguas Calientes where we will spend the night in camp.
- We arrive at approximately 05:00 p.m.
Day 16: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
- Very early after breakfast we will go by bus from Aguas Calientes to Machupicchu; It is a journey that lasts approximately 25 minutes.
- The visit with the guide lasts 2 hours and then we can visit Waynapicchu for people who want to continue climbing (optional).
- Then we will go down by bus to the town of Aguas Calientes, which will take 25 minutes, to finally take the afternoon train to Cusco.
- End of the program.
- Pick up from the hotel in the morning by private bus.
- Private transportation from Cusco/ Cachora/ Chiwuanquiri / Cusco, including transfer to your hotel in Cusco.
- Bus up and down to Mapi.
- Return train ticket in Backpacker service.
- Professional bilingual guide.
- Tents (2 people in each tent).
- A sleeping bag and mattress per person.
- Dining tent, tables and chairs.
- Kitchen tent.
- Bath tent.
- Muleteers and horses (to carry tents, food and kitchen equipment).
- 01 emergency horse for every 6 people.
- Lodging for our passengers, guides and cook.
- Meals (14 breakfasts, 13 lunches, 13 dinners + snack + tea service every day).
- Extra money.
- Good walking shoes.
- Flashlight and batteries.
- Mosquito repellent.
- Sun protection cream.
- Rain poncho.
- Hat or cap.
Want this tour?
Click on the following button to contact an advisor by Whatsapp.
More tours INKARIBE